skip to content Conwy Heritage Conwy Suspension Bridge & Toll House Guide to Accommodation North Wales

Increase Font SizeDecrease Font Size

Conwy Suspension Bridge & Toll House Conwy Suspension Bridge & Toll House


Listing Description

Conwy Suspension Bridge & Toll House Designed and built by Thomas Telford, this elegant suspension bridge, which is adjacent to the Conwy Castle, was completed in 1826.
The restored Toll House is furnished as it would have been a century ago. At one time this way the main route over the river for all traffic, no doubt to the distain of the old ferrymen! The bridge was in daily use until the 1950s.

Conwy Suspension Bridge & Toll House Thomas Telford matched the bridge's supporting towers with the castle's turrets. It is in the same style as one of Telford's other bridges, the Menai Suspension Bridge crossing the Menai Strait.

The Conwy bridge runs alongside the wrought iron tubular railway bridge built by Robert Stephenson. Until Stephenson's bridge was built, Telford's bridge was the only crossing of the river, and therefore the only way to get to the ferry that leaves for Ireland.

Built into the rock on which Conwy Castle stands, it is very close to the castle and very small (only about 2½ metres across). Part of the castle had to be demolished during construction in order for the suspension cables to be anchored into the rock.